Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cute Shmute

My kids are no longer cute. Of course, I liked them when they were little and cute, but 'cuteness' is limited in its appeal. I think we all start out cute because it is Mother Nature's way to ensure that we are nurtured and protected when we are vulnerable and weak. However, perhaps because I am a dad and not a mom, I am happy that they are no longer so cute.

The reason is that they are much, much more interesting now than when they were little. While my 16 year old daughter is still as affectionate as ever, she is now clever and intelligent, and has a really good sense of humour. It brings me joy that she gets my jokes, even if she rarely thinks them funny. She will understand the plot twist to a movie well before most people. Our conversations are always interesting, and they often involve humour.

As for my son, he plays bass guitar in a four-piece rock band. He loves all those 60's and 70's greats like Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin, and as I pass his room I will often hear the strains of something like 'Kashmir' or 'Little Wing'. The general tenor and level of our discussions about music is worlds beyond those we had about Power Rangers just a few years ago. Aidan and I also share a love of sports, and he is now a much better soccer player than I ever was. I like to watch him play soccer, as I find his playing style, well, interesting, and wonder just how much of it is genetic, and how much nurture.

I really liked being a dad to two young and cute children. However, and quite surprisingly to me, being a dad to interesting children is far more satisfying and fun.

No comments: