Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mark, Mark, Mark... life as a hair-lipped dog




I have just marked the last final exam, and this term is finally over. 

I have been marking constantly for the past 2 months.  First were rough drafts of the first essays in Liberal Studies, then final drafts.  Next came midterms in first and second year anthropology.  Then came the essay outlines and then essays for first and second year Anthro.  This was followed by rough and final drafts of Liberal Studies essays, and then final exams for the Anthro classes.  Not a day has gone by in the last two months that I have not sat down and marked something, be it an exam or an essay.  Today, I marked my last final exam, posted the marks, and now look forward to Spring session beginning next Monday as we prepare to go on a dig to Jordan for a month.

All of this marking takes its toll.  I find that after a session of analyzing, interpreting, judging, and then finally giving a grade, I tend to think differently.  Aidan's job of cleaning the kitchen after dinner is about a C+, Kira fed the fish at an A level, Denise's desk sits at a C- and only with hard work and diligence can she bring it up to a B level.  American Idol is on tonight, and Simon is a wonderful salve to Ellen's happy ignorance and Randy's eternal optimism.  I like House because he too tends to grade everything in his world.  Because Arsenal blew their last 3 games, rendering them out of contention for the Premiership title, they have gone from an A to a B- on the year. 

After so much grading fatigue, at this time of the year I usually seek out tasks that limit the amount or scope for assessment.  I need to start running again, meditating, taking long, luxurious baths, reading fun and exciting novels, riding my bicycle.  After a few weeks I will stop grading life so much.

I give this post a 'B'.

No comments: